Usage tracks how many units a customer has used of a certain product, such as the number of minutes in a telephone plan. All loaded usage can have a status of either Pending Process or Processed, depending on whether the usage had been invoiced.
See Adding Usage Data for instructions on how to upload usage.
The status of the usage depends on whether it has been included in a bill run.
After importing usage, the status is automatically set to Pending Process. This usage is waiting for processing in a bill run. Usage with this status can be updated or deleted. The usage will be processed in a bill run that has a target date greater than or equal to the usage start date. Note that usage is always billed in arrears (for example, you bill for January usage in February).
Once the usage has been picked by a bill run, the status will be automatically updated to Processed. You cannot make any changes to usage records that have a status of Processed.
- Define Billing Rules
- Use the Billing Rules page to define your company's billing policies concerning prorations, billing in advance, and arrears billing. Navigate to Settings > Z-Billing Settings and select Define Billing Rules. You can configure the following billing rules:
- Usage-based fees are used to track resources (for example, database storage space, bundles of emails sent) that are metered and then charged based on the amount consumed. Usage is always billed in arrears (for example, you bill for January usage in February). Usage can be billed on a recurring monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, or annual basis.
- Aggregate the Usage Billing of Child Accounts
- Use this feature to track the usage of child accounts. This applies to accounts configured to use the customer hierarchy feature. If you want to use this feature, contact Zuora Global Support and ask to have the feature enabled for your Zuora tenant.
- On-Demand Usage Rating
- Zuora supports on-demand usage rating for usage charges that use a per unit or tiered charge model. This feature supports flexible usage rating schedules by allowing multiple rating opportunities in a billing period. Rating usage more frequently allows customers to keep track how much usage has already been incurred, while allowing you (the vendor) to charge immediately after usage consumed.
- Overage Smoothing Charge Model
- Overage smoothing models are useful for avoiding spikes and troughs in usage charges in any given month. The use of smoothing models help customers avoid paying too much if their usage spikes in any one period by considering usage over multiple periods. Some smoothing models ("rolling window") carry over unused units to the next period.
- This area shows any details on usages for the selected account.
- Working with Usage
- Usage-based fees are used to track resources (for example, database storage space, bundles of emails sent) that are metered and then charged based on the amount consumed. Usage is always billed in arrears (for example, you bill for January usage in February). Usage can be billed on a recurring monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, or annual basis. You can use the Zuora API to create usage for an account, delete usage from an account, and read usages created in Zuora.
- Adding Usage Data (Beginner)
- Creating Usage (Intermediate)
- Reading Usage (Intermediate)
- Deleting Usage (Intermediate)