This article explains how you can set up and bill the full amount on two annual subscriptions, for the same account, that have separate start and billing dates.
Set Up the Product Catalog
The first and most important step is to set up your product catalog's rate plan charges to bill the charge only when the full amount is ready to be billed. To set up your product catalog rate plan charge, go to Z-Billing > Product Catalog, then select an existing product or create a new one.
In the Rate Plans section, edit or add a Recurring or Usage charge, and then edit the Billing Day to select
Charge Trigger Day.
Set Up the Subscriptions
With Evergreen subscriptions, the subscription continues to bill until the customer notifies you of cancellation. Unlike Termed subscriptions, Evergreen subscriptions do not have contract term end dates. Evergreen subscriptions only have a term start date, and the term is infinite until it is canceled.
Evergreen subscriptions support the billing of concurrent subscriptions for the full charge amount better than termed subscriptions because evergreen subscriptions do not have a term end date that can potentially prorate the billing period of the charge.
For example, if you create a subscription with the following settings:
- First Subscription Term: January 1, 2011 through December 31, 2011
- Subscription Activation and Charge Trigger Date is February 1, 2011
- Product Rate Plan Charge: Billing Period is Annual, Billing Day is Charge Trigger Day
The first invoice will be prorated from February 1, 2011 through December 31, 2011. The charge is only billed for 11 months because the subscription term has ended and has not yet been renewed. Therefore, the charge cannot bill for the full 12-month (annual) period.
Step 1: Select the Evergreen Term Setting
In your subscription, under Basic Information > Term Setting, select Evergreen.
A sample account was set up with two concurrent annual subscriptions: One starting on March 16, 2012, and the other on March 26, 2012.
- Subscription 1: Term Start Date is March 16, 2012.
- Subscription 2: Term Start Date is March 26, 2012.
- Bill Cycle Day on the Customer Account: After setting up Subscription 1, the Account's billing day was auto-set to 16th of the month: