After a bill run is completed, all invoices for the bill run have been generated and the bill run will have the Completed status. The Completed status does not mean that the invoices for the bill run have been posted. When you post a bill run, it also posts all invoices generated for that bill run.
When your invoices are considered final, you can post them all at once by posting a bill run, as long as your invoices are all part of a single bill run. Posting a bill run makes it possible to collect payments for the invoices in that bill run. Prior to posting your invoices for a bill run, the bill run itself must be in Completed status.
If you have the Advanced AR Settlement feature enabled, when you post a bill run, all the bill run associated credit memos are also posted.
Post a bill run
To post a bill run, complete the following steps:
- Navigate to Billing > Bill Runs in the navigation section.
- Find the completed bill run that you want to post and click the bill run number to open the detail page.
- Make sure the bill run has the correct accounts that you want to post invoices for.
- Click Post.
Note that if all of the invoices within the bill run have already been posted, clicking Post will not affect the invoices (they will not be posted again). However, if the bill run contains draft invoices, those invoices will be posted.
Bill run notifications
Notifications are available in emails or in the UI for bill run completion or errors.
When a bill run is completed, or if it cannot be executed due to an error, an email notification from email@example.com is sent to the user who initiated or scheduled the bill run. The status of the bill run will be Completed or Error.
The user who is executing an ad hoc bill run will receive a notification. If you would like to change who receives the email notifications for a scheduled bill run, the bill run needs to be scheduled by that user.
UI error notification
After a bill run has finished, go to Billing > Bill Runs to check the status of the bill run.
- On the all bill run list page, an alert icon is also displayed in the list view, next to the completed status of any bill run which produced errors. Additionally, an alert icon is also displayed in the expanded view, next to the completed status of any bill run which produced errors.
- On the specific bill run detail page, a tab called Failed Accounts or Subscriptions is displayed if failures occur in the bill run. This tab displays a list of the accounts that produced errors and the individual subscriptions of those accounts in which the billing run error occurred. It helps you to check whether all invoices have been generated or not, and ensures that you don't miss out on any revenue that is due.