Once you have created products for your product catalog, you can create rate plans and rate plan charges for those products.
Creating a Product Rate Plan
To create a product rate plan:
- Click Product Catalog in the left navigation bar.
- Click the name of the product for which you want to add a rate plan. This opens the product information page.
- Under Rate Plans, click add rate plan. Complete the following fields:
- Name: Enter a name for the new rate plan. Rate plans dictate how frequently you charge. Some customers include the recurring period in their rate plan name. For example, Ultimate Screenshot Software Monthly or Ultimate Screenshot Software Yearly.
- Description (optional): Enter a description for the rate plan.
- Effective Start Date: Enter the day that your rate plan becomes available, in MM/DD/YYYY format. This is also when you can begin adding the rate plan to a subscription.
- Effective End Date: Enter the date that your rate plan expires and can no longer be added to a subscription, in MM/DD/YYYY format.
- Click save to save the new rate plan.
Setting Effective Start Dates and Effective End Dates
Effective start and end dates must be within the effective period for the product that you are adding a rate plan to. If a product has multiple rate plans, the different product rate plans can have different effective start date and effective end dates. This gives you the flexibility to let one product rate plan expire without having to expire the product itself or expire other rate plans within that product. With this ability to let individual rate plans expire, you can set up rate plans for a promotional period and expire that rate plan after a day, a week, or any a specific period of time.
To ensure that a rate plan does not expire prematurely (which would prevent your users who use the interface and customers who are signing up via the API from adding the rate plan to a subscription), you can enter an effective end date that is far in the future (for example, 01/01/2025).
Setting Up Multi-Currency Rate Plans
You can view the prices for each rate plan in multiple currencies. You can easily edit all of the price elements for a supported, non-base currency (the default currency is the base currency) in a worksheet, with the implied exchange rate displayed.
To set up multi-currency for specific rate plans:
- Select a product in the Product Catalog.
- On the product information page, click Edit price in multi-currency. A worksheet dialog appears. Use this dialog to activate a different currency and edit the price of the rate plan in the new currency.
In the following scenario when both conditions are true, you can edit only two currencies at a time. If you need to edit more than two currencies, edit two currencies, save them, and edit the next two.
If there are more than two currencies activated in your tenant.
If the product includes more than 2000 prices.
- To activate a different currency for a specific rate plan, click the Activate button at the top of the column of the currency and rate plan that you want to use.
You must activate currencies to be able to use them when adding a rate plan to a subscription.
When you query product rate plan charge tier via Zuora API, only activated currency tiers are returned.
- Click the price fields to edit the rate plan prices.
- Click Close.
Custom Fields on Rate Plans
You can use Rate Plan custom fields to manage your logic patterns, to support your logic for acceptable rate plan pairings.
A popular way to do this is to assign a CODE to the Rate Plan Description, which allows you to match a discount code provided by a user via web session to that unique discount rate plan in your product catalog.