- To allow the out-of-box payment runs in Zuora to activate the retry logic, ensure the account-level auto-pay is turned on and configure an electronics payment method for the accounts on your tenant.
- To allow the payment runs in the Advanced Payment Manager to activate the retry logic, turn off the account-level auto-pay for the accounts involved, and, in the Advanced Payment Manager settings, select Use Configurable Payment Retry. For details about this configuration, see Configure the Advanced Payment Manager feature.
Activation of the retry logic
Upon the successful completion of a payment run, Configurable Payment Retry’s logic is activated. Initial payments from the payment run that are not successful will be sent into the retry system and will trigger the configured retry logic for their gateway response.
See Payment Runs for more information about payment runs.
See the table below for the invoice-level and account-level auto-pay settings for different retry levels in different retry stages.
|Retry level||Invoice-level auto-pay setting||Account-level auto-pay setting|
|Invoice||Turned off when the retry cycle starts.||No change during invoice retry cycles.|
Once the account-level auto-pay is turned off, invoices or debit memos for the account will not be picked up in the next payment run. If you want the invoices and debit memos to be picked up during a payment run, you need to manually turn on the account-level auto-pay setting.
View account-level and invoice-level retry status
Once Configurable Payment Retry is installed, a custom field "Retry Status" will be added to the Account and Invoice (or Debit Memo, if Invoice Settlement is enabled on your tenant) objects. You can use the values of these two fields to determine the retry and payment status.
The values of these two fields are managed by Configurable Payment Retry based on the settings and the retry logic. Zuora recommends that you do not change the values of these two fields.
To view the retry status of an account, navigate to the details page of the account.
To view the retry status of an invoice or debit memo, navigate to the Additional Fields section on the details page of the invoice or debit memo.
Account retry status
- In retry: The account is active in a retry process. It indicates that either an invoice of the account or the account enters a retry cycle.
- Complete: The retry process has completed and payments have been collected.
- Failure: The retry process for the account has completed and payments have not been collected.
- Blank: All accounts start with this status (no value for the field). Once the account or an invoice of the account enters a retry process, this field will begin to be updated. The field will never be blank again unless it is manually modified to be blank (which is not recommended).
Invoice or debit-memo retry status
- In retry: The invoice or debit memo is active in a retry process.
- Complete: The retry process has completed and the payment has been collected.
- Complete - External: The retry process has completed due to a payment made outside of the retry process. It means that an ad hoc payment has been made during the retry process. The next time Configurable Payment Retry attempts to retry a payment, it recognizes the payment and updates the status to Complete - External.
- Failure: The retry process has completed and no payments have been received.
- Blank (no value): All invoices or debit memos will start with this status (no value for the field). Once the account or the invoice (debit memo) enters the retry process, this field will begin to be updated. The field will never be blank again unless it is manually modified to be blank (which is not recommended).
View retry attempts
To monitor the progress of your retry logic, complete the following steps.
In your Zuora tenant, click the desired account and select Transactions > Payments.
View the Status of each payment.
- Error - Payment was unsuccessful and is in retry attempt
- Processed - Payment was successfully processed
Click the Payment Number to view payment details.
The Payment window opens:
- Error Message: Displays the error message from the selected payment gateway.
- Comment: Displays information about the status of the account in the retry process. You may have noticed that attempt numbers in the comment start with 2. This is because Attempt 1 is triggered via a payment run in Zuora and subsequent retries are triggered in Configurable Payment Retry.
Understand the home page
Use metrics on the home page to evaluate the effectiveness of your payment retry attempts for increased collection rates.
Recovery Rate: Displays the % of the money recovered from accounts in retry
Day: The average number of days invoices are unpaid before collection
Recovered: Total amount of money recovered from accounts in retry
Attempts: Displays the average number of attempts required to recover funds
Customer Groups: List of all customer groups
Response Codes and Groups: Review all gateway response codes and map their responses
Responses Grouped by Code Type: Graph that displays the different type of response codes to declined invoices
- Hard Decline
- Soft Decline
- System Error
Custom code types will be reflected in graph
Funds Collected - Displays total amount collected, the exact percentage of collected funds is displayed in the Recover Rate metrics (1)
Codes by Customer Group - Breakdown of customer groups based on response code
Ensure all accounts have auto-pay enabled.
Payments must come from a payment run to be picked up by Configurable Payment Retry
If there is a response code from the Gateway not recognized by the CPR feature, (i.e., a response code that has not been mapped and pre-loaded by Zuora), the feature will respond with configured label identified on the Settings page.