Collection agents can use the Disputes feature to create and process disputes for posted invoices within the past year. The comments and processing notes that are added in Disputes can be exported in the Notes feature.
If Invoice Settlement is enabled on your tenant, you can create disputes for all posted invoices within the past year.
If Invoice Settlement is not enabled on your tenant, you can create disputes only for posted invoices that are not paid in full (balance > 0). If you need to create disputes for a paid invoice (balance = 0), you can refund the invoice payment in full. The invoice will then be available for dispute processing in the Disputes UI.
Create a new dispute
- Launch the feature instance and go to the landing page.
- Click the + icon on the page.
- Select the account and the invoice number for the dispute.
- Only posted invoices less than a year old are displayed and eligible for dispute processing.
- For each dispute, you can select only one invoice.
- An account can have multiple disputed invoices.
- In the Dispute by field, select Manually to configure the invoice items to be included in the dispute, as well as the amounts for specific invoice items, or select a percentage to be used to calculate the dispute amounts for all invoice items in the invoice.
- If you select a percentage, select a dispute reason for all invoice items in the invoice and then click Create to create the dispute.
- The percentage is applied to all invoice items on the invoice. You cannot configure amounts for specific invoice items.
- If the value of an item is rounded to 0, an error will occur.
- You cannot configure dispute reason for specific invoice items.
- If you select Manually, configure the invoices to be included in the dispute and specify the disputed amount for each available data field.
Note: The available UI elements are slightly different depending on whether Invoice Settlement is enabled on your tenant.
- You need to select an invoice item before you can configure the details for this invoice item.
- For each invoice item, additional information including tax, discount, and discount tax is also displayed. If Invoice Settlement is enabled on your tenant, you cannot adjust the amounts for these fields. If Invoice Settlement is not enabled on your tenant and data is retrieved for these fields (amount is not 0), you can adjust the amounts for these fields.
- The Disputes feature does not check the amounts for the tax, discount, and discount tax line items. If the disputed amounts for these items are greater than the balances, errors may occur during settlement.
- The amounts can be positive or negative. The Disputes feature uses absolute values of the amounts entered.
- The tax and the invoice item dispute amounts are subtracted from the balance. The discount and discount tax are added back to the invoice.
- For each invoice item you select, select a dispute reason from the dispute reason list. Different invoice items of the same invoice may have different dispute reasons
- Click Create to create the dispute. A newly created dispute is in Pending status until it is approved by the creator or administrators.
Process a dispute
All disputes are displayed on the home page of the Disputes feature. Click to filter the results using account name, invoice number, created date range, or status.
Click the menu icon to the left of a dispute ID to display a list of actions you can perform. You can click an action without opening the details page.
Click a dispute ID to view the details of the dispute. Click Actions to display a list of available actions for the dispute.
For a dispute that is in Pending status, you can perform the actions below. After an action is performed, a note will be created in Disputes to record what has happened.
- Approve - A dispute can be approved by the creator if the amount is within their authorized amount or by an admin. The authorized amount for a user is configured in the Notes feature. For details, see Using the Notes feature.
Once a dispute is approved, you cannot perform further actions. The system will perform actions based on the status of the invoice:
- If the invoice has a positive balance, an invoice item adjustment for the approved amount and the corresponding tax will be created. You can view the change in the invoice item adjustment list in Zuora.
- If the balance of the invoice is 0, a credit memo for the approved amount and the corresponding tax will be created. You can view the change in the credit and debit memo list in Zuora.
When your dispute for a partial amount is approved, Zuora will discount the tax to correspond to the disputed amount. For example, if the original amount of an invoice item to dispute is $60, the tax is $10, then the amount eligible for disputes is $50. When your dispute for $25 is approved, Zuora will adjust the tax from $10 to $5.
- Reject - Rejects the dispute and uses the Notes feature to add an explanation.
- Cancel - Cancels the dispute and uses the Notes feature to add an explanation.
- Escalate - Escalates the dispute to the escalation point configured in the settings of the Notes app instance. See Set Up the Notes Feature to learn about how to configure escalation points.
The escalation process follows these rules:
- A standard user must have an escalation point. Otherwise, disputes from the user cannot be escalated.
- An admin does not need to have an escalation point. An admin can escalate a dispute to another admin.
Add comments to a dispute
Click View Notes in the bottom left to display the commenting panel. You can add new comments, reply to comments, mention someone using @, or upload files.
All comments, as well as the notes added by the system to record the actions that have been taken, can be exported in the Notes feature. See Using the Notes feature for details.