Delete Products, Rate Plans, and Product Rate Plan Charges
In order to preserve historical data, products, rate plans, and product rate plan charges that have been added to a subscription can expire, but cannot be deleted. (You can cause products and rate plans to expire by editing the effective end date.) However, you can delete products, rate plans, and rate plan charges that have not yet been linked to a subscription.
Deleting a Product
To delete a product that is not linked to a subscription:
- Navigate to Products > Product Catalog in the left-hand navigation section.
- Use the Search field to find the product you want to delete.
- Based on your search criteria, a list of products will be displayed.
- Click to remove the product.
- When prompted, click yes to delete the product. After the product has been removed, it will no longer be displayed in the Zuora user interface.
Deleting a Rate Plan or Product Rate Plan Charge
You can also remove a rate plan and product rate plan charge if the applicable items are not linked to a subscription. The icon to remove a rate plan and product rate plan charge can be found by hovering to the right of the rate plan and rate plan charge.
To remove a rate plan or rate plan charge that is not linked to a subscription:
- Move your mouse to the right of the rate plan or rate plan charge that you want to remove. You will see an icon to remove the rate plan or the product rate plan charge.
- Click to delete the rate plan or product rate plan charge.
- When prompted, click yes to remove the rate plan or rate plan charge. After the rate plan or product rate plan charge has been removed, it will no longer be displayed in the Zuora user interface.
Expiring a Product
At some point, you might want to "expire" a product, and prevent it from being sold after a specific date.
To mark a product as expired, go into the product record, click Edit (in the upper-right corner), and change the Effective End Date to the last day you want the product to be able to be sold.
If the rate plans associated with the product expire after the day you want to expire the product, you must first edit the individual rate plans to expire them on or before the date you are expiring the product.
Expired Products and Zuora Quotes
Once the change is made the next time you sync Zuora with Salesforce the product will no longer show in Zuora Quotes. If you try to send a new quote from Salesforce to Zuora after you expire the product in Zuora but before you re-sync the product catalog, you will get an error when you click Send to Zuora in Zuora Quotes because the product is no longer available to add to subscriptions in Zuora.
Expired Products and the Zuora API
If you have an external web site that uses the API to create orders you will need to update your API code immediately after you expire the product to make sure that product is no longer referenced in the code. If this is not done then any API calls which reference the now expired product will cause an error and no new subscription will be created.