Payment methods are the ways in which customers pay for their subscription services. A customer can choose a payment method based on your company’s list of preferred payment methods. To set up payment methods for the customer accounts, define the payment methods your company can support in Payments settings, and then set up the payment methods for the customer accounts.
Activate payment methods
Navigate to Payment Settings > Payment Method to define and activate payment methods your company supports.
The payment methods you select will appear in a picklist when you set up the billing and payment terms for a customer within the customer account.
For more details about the supported payment methods, see Supported Payment Methods.
Set up payment methods for customer accounts
You can set up payment methods for new customer accounts during the account creation process, or by editing an existing account. You can add a maximum of 100 payment methods to an account. If there are multiple payment methods associated with a customer account, select one of the payment methods as the default payment method to indicate that it is the customer's preferred method of payment. You can enable the Auto-Pay setting on a customer account that uses an electronic payment method to automatically collect payments.
Before you start
Make sure that you have read the following information:
- The following methods in this section are not available for the creation of Apple Pay or Google Pay. For information about setting up Apple Pay and Google Pay, see later sections in this article:
- The Credit Card option in any of the following approaches can be used to create Credit Card or Debit Card payment methods.
Set up a payment method through the Zuora UI
- Navigate to the UI section for setting up payment methods:
- To set up a payment method during the creation of a new customer account, navigate to the Payment Method section.
- To set up a new electronic payment method for an existing customer account, open the customer account page, navigate to the Electronic Payment Methods section, and then click Create New Payment Method.
- Select one of the available electronic payment methods you have defined in the Payment Method setting. During the creation of a new customer account, you can set up an external payment method for the customer account.
- Enter the payment method details.
- Click Save.
Set up a payment method through the API
You can use any of the following REST APIs to set up a payment method:
Set up a payment method through Payment Pages 2.0
You can use the embedded iFrame or Direct POST to implement Payment Pages 2.0 to collect your end user's payment method data. See Payment Pages 2.0 for details.
Set up Apple Pay
To enable Apple Pay on your website, see Apple Pay on Web for more information.
Set up Google Pay
Google Pay is only supported by the following payment gateway integrations in Zuora for now:
To set up and use a Google Pay payment method on the supported payment gateway integrations, see the following articles:
Link to a customer account
When creating a payment method, it is recommended to associate the payment method with an account. The newly created payment method that is not associated with any account will be deleted in 10 days. For payment methods created through API operations, specify the
accountID field. For payment methods created through hosted payment method pages, specify the
field_accountId client parameter in the request.
Pass in city and country information
It is recommended to provide the city and country information when creating a payment method. The information will be sent to the gateway and be used to process payments with this payment method. If the information is not provided during payment method creation, the city and country data will be missing during payment processing. The bill-to or sold-to address information of your account will not be included in the request to the gateway.
Manage stored credential profiles for credit cards
A stored credential profile within a payment method is a container for data of a credential that has been stored in accordance with a customer consent agreement. Each stored credential profile includes a transaction identifier, which Zuora sends to the payment gateway whenever the payment method is used in a payment.
When you create a Credit Card, Apple Pay, or Google Pay payment method through the Zuora UI, API operations, or Payment Pages 2.0, Zuora automatically creates a stored credential profile within the payment method. See Stored credential transactions for more information.