You can cancel or delete payments through the Zuora UI or Zuora REST API. Voiding electronic payments is only supported through the Zuora UI.
Cancel a Payment
You can cancel the payments that are successfully processed. You can only cancel the payments that are in External payment type.
To cancel an individual payment:
- Navigate to Payments > Payment Operations, and select the Payments tab.
- Click the payment you want to cancel.
- Click cancel.
A payment is canceled as of the original payment date. We strongly recommend that you only cancel a payment that was just created. Otherwise, use an external refund to reverse the payment.
Void a Payment
Once a payment has been successfully processed, you can choose to void it. You can only void the payments that are in Electronic payment type. For example, if you accidentally charged a customer and processed the payment, you can void the payment to prevent the charge from being sent to the customer.
To void an individual payment:
- Select Payments > Customer Accounts to view the list of customer accounts.
- Select the customer account that you want to void a payment for.
- Scroll down to the Transactions area.
- On the Payments tab, click the processed payment that you want to void.
- Click Void this Payment (upper right-hand corner). The status of the payment changes to
Once a payment has been settled, it can no longer be voided. Payments are typically settled within 24 to 48 hours.
Delete a Payment
You can delete payments that have been canceled, voided, or errored. This allows you open an invoice and subscription for editing. This is a specialized feature that is controlled by user permissions to allow only designated users to delete invalid payments as part of a data migration process. For example, you can delete a payment created by an incorrect invoice, correct the invoice, then start a new billing run.
Zuora cannot recover deleted payments.
To delete a payment, the following requirements must be met:
- You must enable the Delete payment Payments role permission.
- The payment status must be Voided, Canceled, Error, or Draft. You cannot delete payments with the Processing, Processed, or Posted status.
- The payment cannot have any associated refunds.
- The payment must be in an open accounting period. You cannot delete payments in closed accounting periods.
- The payment has not been transferred to your accounting system. You cannot delete payments after they have been transferred to an accounting system.
If you delete an
Error payment directly, Zuora will not update the summary of the payment run.