You can use UI, REST API, or SOAP API to upgrade or downgrade a subscription rate plan.
Use the User Interface to downgrade a product
- First, follow the instructions for removing a product using the Zuora UI.
- If you do not want a proration credit for the downgrade, make the Remove Product amendment effective on the first day of the next Invoice period or next term.
- Once the product is removed, follow the instructions for adding a product using the Zuora UI. Use the same dates as the Remove Product amendment, which makes the new product effective the day the old product is removed.
Use the REST API to upgrade or downgrade a product
You can use the Update a subscription operation to upgrade or downgrade a product.
You can use one of the following two methods:
- Remove an existing subscription rate plan and then add a new product rate plan
- Change rate plans - to replace the existing rate plans in a subscription with other rate plans. Changing rate plans is currently not supported for Billing - Revenue Integration. When Billing - Revenue Integration is enabled, changing rate plans will no longer be applicable in Zuora Billing.
Use the SOAP API to upgrade a product
See Removing a Product in the SOAP API Developer's Guide, and follow the instructions based on your WSDL version.
When the Remove Product amendment is successful, follow the Adding a Product instructions using the date used in the Remove Product amendment.
Use the SOAP API to downgrade a product
See Removing a Product and follow the instructions based on your WSDL version.
You must set the ContractEffectiveDate and EffectiveDate fields (and also the ServiceActivationDate and CustomerAcceptanceDate fields if enabled) to the correct date to ensure there are no refunds, credits or prorations.
Set the contract effective, effective, service activation and customer acceptance dates to the date you want the cancellation or downgrade to take effect.
- To insure no proration, this should be the first day of the next invoice period or the first day of the next term, depending on if you want to downgrade at the end of the last invoice period or end of term.
- For example, If the current invoice period for the product extends from 10/01/2011-10/31/2011 and the next invoice period for this product begins on 11/01/2001, set the contract effective date to 11/01/2001.
When the Remove Product amendment is successful, follow the steps for Adding a Product, using the date used in the Remove Product amendment.