Set up and configure a Braintree gateway instance by using the information in this article, including configuration procedure, descriptions of the configuration fields, and reference for testing the payment gateway.
Enable the Braintree payment gateway integration for your tenant. See Enable payment gateway integrations for your tenant for instructions.
Take the following steps to set up and configure a Braintree gateway instance:
- Click your username at the top right and navigate to Settings > Payments > Setup Payment Gateway.
- On the Configure Gateway Instance tab, select Braintree from the Gateway Type drop-down list.
- Click Create Gateway.
- Complete the information for the gateway instance. See below for more information on the fields.
- Click Save Gateway Information after entering the necessary information.
Common configuration fields
You must configure some common fields in the Basic Information area for every gateway configuration. See Setting Up Payment Gateways for information on these fields:
- Use Gateway Test Environment
- Cards Accepted
- Default Authorization Amount: The default amount cannot be overridden. The validation amount is determined by Braintree.
- Verify new payment method (optional)
- Verify updated payment method (optional)
Specific configuration fields
In addition to the common fields, you should specify the following fields:
- Merchant Id: A unique identifier for your gateway account
- Merchant Account Id: You can have multiple merchant accounts to process transactions for different businesses or currencies within your Braintree gateway. Each merchant account will be associated with a unique merchant account ID.
- Public Key: User-specific public identifier
- Private Key: User-specific secure identifier that should not be shared
- Soft Descriptor (Optional): The specified value for this field will be presented on customers’ credit card statements. It corresponds to the
descriptorfield on the Braintree side. See Braintree's documentation for more information.
- 3DS2 Challenge Requested (Optional): By selecting this setting, if 3DS2 is enabled in the Payment Pages settings, the
challengeRequested: trueindicator will be passed to the Braintree gateway to request the cardholder challenge. The 3DS2 authentication challenge will be enforced if possible. Ultimately, it is the issuing bank that determines whether a card needs to be authenticated through a challenge.
Test the configuration
We recommend that you test your payment gateway by using both your payment gateway's test and production (live) environments. Once you have completed testing in the gateway's test environment, it is recommended that you perform a test in your live production environment with a real credit card. If there are any differences in the configuration of your testing and production accounts, testing in production ensures your production merchant account is set up properly and can successfully connect to the production environment.
You can use the test card information and testing scenarios provided by the gateway vendor to test your integration. See Testing and Go Live in Braintree Developer Docs for details.