The Invoice Settlement feature is generally available as of Zuora Billing Release 296 (March 2021). This feature includes Unapplied Payments, Credit and Debit Memo, and Invoice Item Settlement. If you want to have access to the feature, see Invoice Settlement Enablement and Checklist Guide for more information.
You can unapply the applied payments from invoices and debit memos. For example, a payment is applied incorrectly. After you unapplied the payment from the invoices, the payment is then recorded as "unapplied". The amount from the invoices is transferred into the unapplied amount of the payments. You can then apply the payment to any open invoices and their invoice items.
You can unapply the payments only if you have the user permission. See Payment Roles for more information.
Through the billing settings configuration, you can configure a default application rule to determine how to unapply payments applications from invoices and debit memos. Zuora uses the specified application rule to automatically unapply the payment if you have not specified item-level application amounts explicitly.
To unapply a payment through the Zuora REST API, see POST Unapply Payment.
To unapply a payment through the Zuora UI:
- Navigate to Payments > Payments in the left-hand navigation section.
- Click the payment you want to unapply.
- Click More > Unapply this payment from the payment detail page.
- In the Effective Date field, specify the date when the unapply takes effect.
- Select the invoices and debit memos that you want to unapply the payment for, and specify the amount in the Amount to Unapply column.
- If you have the Invoice Item Settlement feature enabled, you can unapply the payment in item level:
- Click next to the document. The items of the invoice or debit memo are displayed.
- Select the items you want to unapply the payment for, and click next to the item.
- Specify the amount you want to unapply for each item in the Amount to Unapply column.
- Click unapply to this payment.