You can create an Update Product amendment even if there is already a future-dated Update Product amendment on the subscription.
- A customer subscribes to your Basic Service for one year starting on January 1, 2018.
- In March, the customer wants to upgrade to your Premium Service on a future date, July 1, 2018. So you create a future-dated Update Product amendment by setting the effective date to July 1, 2018.
- In April, the customer wants to upgrade to your Special Service starting on May 1, 2018. So you create an Update Product amendment by setting the update date to May 1, 2018.
The following table lists the services your customer has subscribed to:
|Service Name||Effective Date and End Date|
January 1, 2018 - April 30, 2018
May 1, 2018 - June 30, 2018
July 1, 2018 - December 31, 2018
You can create an Update Product amendment before a future-dated Update Product amendment on the subscription in Zuora UI, SOAP API, and REST API.
Using the Zuora User Interface
You can use the Zuora UI to update a product even when future-dated Update Product amendments already exist on the subscription.
To create an Update Product amendment on a subscription with future-dated Update Product amendments:
- Follow step 1-4 in create an Update Product amendment.
- Select a product to update from the select product list.
If the selected product has an existing future-dated Update Product amendment, the Advanced Option: Make the update effective before future price changes on the same rate plan link is displayed.
- Choose the appropriate method to update a product:
- If you want to trigger the Update Product amendment after all the existing future-dated amendments, go to step 4.
- If you want to trigger the Update Product amendment before the existing future-dated amendments, click the link. A message and an additional option are displayed.
Specify a trigger date in the field of the displayed message. The trigger date is the date when this amendment takes effect. In this situation, the contract effective date does not decide when the amendment takes effect. You can set the contract effective date to the date when the customer notifies you to make subscription changes.
Note that the trigger date you specified is for all the charges that have updates in the rate plan.
- Follow steps to finish creating an amendment.
Using the Zuora API
You can use Zuora SOAP API and REST API to update a product even when future-dated Update Product amendments already exist on the subscription:
- For SOAP API, use the SpecificUpdateDate field on the Amendment object, see the Create an UpdateProduct Amendment Before a Future-dated Update use case.
- For REST API, use the specificUpdateDate field in the Update subscription method.