You can create a consolidated invoice for larger companies with many departments, divisions, or subsidiaries in a tenant with Orders enabled. For example, a reseller can be billed for its subsidiaries in a consolidated invoice if the reseller and the subsidiaries are in a parent-child account hierarchy.
A parent-child account hierarchy for the reseller and subsidiaries is shown below:
- Reseller (parent account)
- Subsidiary A (child account)
- Subsidiary B (child account)
If the subscriptions are created in the parent account, the parent account is the invoice owner of the subscriptions by default. After setting the child accounts to the subscription owners of all subscriptions, you can create a consolidated invoice from the parent account.
To create a consolidated invoice for a parent account, perform the following tasks:
- Create a parent-child account hierarchy
- Isolate the invoice ownership and subscription ownership of the subscriptions
- Create a bill run for the parent account
Before creating a consolidated invoice for a parent account in a parent-child account hierarchy through the Orders feature, you need to enable the following features:
- Customer Hierarchy feature
- Orders feature. Orders is now generally available. If you are an existing Zuora Subscribe and Amend customer and want to adopt Orders, see What is Orders Harmonization and join the Orders Harmonization community group for more information.
- Owner Transfer order action feature. Once the feature is enabled, you can isolate the subscription ownership and invoice ownership of a subscription to different accounts.
- Create Bill Runs
Create a parent-child account hierarchy
You need to create a parent account and multiple child accounts. For how to create customer accounts, see Create a customer account.
When creating the parent and child accounts, you need to set the following fields properly:
- Parent: When creating the child accounts, you need to enter the parent account in the Parent field in the Basic Information section to associate child accounts with the parent account in a parent-child account hierarchy.
- Currency: The parent account and the child accounts must use the same currency.
Once completed, you can open either the parent or a child account details page and click the Navigate Hierarchy link next to the account name to view the parent-child account hierarchy.
Isolate the invoice ownership and subscription ownership of subscriptions
If you want to create a new parent account and create subscriptions from the parent account, you can use the following steps.
If you already have subscriptions under the parent account, you can use the owner transfer order action to set the parent account to the invoice owner of the subscriptions and set the child accounts to the subscription owners of the subscriptions. For more information, see Change the Owner of a Subscription.
To create subscriptions in the parent account and set the child accounts to the subscription owners, perform the following steps:
- Navigate to Customers > Customer Accounts.
- On the All Customer Accounts page, search for the parent account and click the parent account name in the Customer Name column.
- On the account details page, click Create Order on the top right.
- On the Create New Order page, click Create Subscription in the Associated Subscriptions section. The parent account displays as the subscription owner by default.
- On the Create Subscription page, specify a child account (for example, Subsidiary A) in the Subscription Owner field to change the child account to the subscription owner.
- Set other fields but keep Invoice The Subscription Separately checkbox in the Terms and Conditions section unchecked.
- Click Continue. The Products and Charges section lists multiple products.
- Click > next to a product in the Product column to expand the product table and check the checkbox in the ADD column to select a rate plan and corresponding charges from the product.
- Click Add Product. The selected rate plan and corresponding charges display exclusively in the Products and Charges section.
- Update editable charges fields if needed.
- Click Review Order.
- On the Review Order page, click the Terms tab to verify that the subscription owner is already changed to the child account (for example, Subsidiary A). If needed, click Create Subscription to create another subscription and set another child account (for example, Subsidiary B) to the subscription owner.
- Click Preview Billing.
- On the Preview Billing page, finish preview settings and click Update Preview. The previewed invoices are listed.
- Click Back.
- On the Review Order page, click Activate to activate the order.
Create a bill run for the parent account
After the subscription owners and the invoice owner of the subscriptions are correctly set, you can create a bill run.
- Navigate to Customers > Customer Accounts.
- On the All Customer Accounts page, click the parent account name in the Customer Name column.
- On the account details page, click Create Bill Run on the top right to open the Create Bill Run page. For how to create a bill run on this page, see Create bill runs.