Credit card processing methods fit into three levels: Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3. Each level is defined by the amount of information that is required or passed to complete a payment with Level 1 having the lowest requirements and potentially the highest costs.
Level 2 and Level 3 card data (also known as Level II and Level III) is a set of additional information that can be passed during a credit card transaction. Level 2 and Level 3 card data provides more information for business, commercial, corporate, purchasing, and government cardholders.
Credit card transactions submitted with Level 2 and Level 3 card data can obtain lower interchange rates and provide merchants with a lower processing cost. Therefore, it is in the best interest of merchants to submit Level 2 and Level 3 card data whenever possible.
Each card type that supports Level 2 maintains its own standards for the additional field information that is accepted. Potential fields include:
- Purchase Order number
- Destination Zip
- Tax Indicator
- Tax Amount
- Requestor Name
- Destination Address
- Destination City
- Destination State
- VAT ID
Level 3 payments require all of the information required for Level 2 and will need to include additional information to complete the payment to reduce transaction costs. These additional fields may include:
- Item ID or SKU
- Item description
- Unit price
- Extended price
- Unit of measure (each)
- Commodity code
- Line discount
Currently, Zuora supports Level 2 and Level 3 data for the following gateways:
- Adyen Integration v2.0. See Level 2 and Level 3 Support for Adyen Integration v2.0 for more information.
- ANB. Only Level 2 card data is supported.
- Chase Orbital Payment Gateway
- CyberSource, Payment API v2.0. See Level 2 and Level 3 Support for CyberSource for more information.
- Mastercard payment gateway. Only Level 2 card data is supported.
- Merchant e-Solutions. Only Level 2 card data is supported.
- Stripe v2
- Worldline Global Collect
- Vantiv (Now Worldpay)
You must contact your gateway support representative to enable Level 2 and Level 3 card data in order to process the additional information.
Pre-conditions for submitting Level 3 data
The following information must be configured before Level 3 information can be submitted to the gateway:
- The Enable Level 3 Card Data check box must be selected in gateway settings.
- The Verify new credit card and Verify updated credit card check boxes must be selected in gateway settings.
- The Commodity Code field must be configured in gateway settings.
- An option must be selected from the Unit of Measure list in gateway settings.
- The Postal Code for the Customer must be provided on the Payment Method or on the Account Bill-to Contact.
- Tenant's Postal Code must be entered in Zuora Administration Settings (under Manage Tenant Profile).
- When creating standalone invoices through the Create a standalone invoice or Create standalone invoices API operation, the
unitPricefield must be included in the
invoiceItemsarray and must be greater than zero.
After you enable Level 2 and Level 3 data with the aforementioned settings, Zuora uses the account and invoice information associated with the payment to automatically submit this data to the payment provider on your behalf.