You can cancel the payments that are successfully processed. For example, if you accidentally charged a customer and processed the payment, you can cancel the payment to prevent the charge from being sent to the customer.
After a payment has been settled, it can no longer be canceled. Payments are typically settled within 24 to 48 hours.
Cancel a payment
To cancel a payment from the REST API, see PUT Cancel Payment.
To cancel a payment from the Zuora UI, complete the following steps:
- Navigate to Payments > Payments in the navigation section.
- On the All Payments page, click the payment number that you want to cancel.
- On the payment detail page, click the three vertical dots icon to display more applicable actions, and then click Cancel This Payment.
- Click OK.
The payment is then in Canceled status.
Auto-unapply payment on cancellation
You can unapply a payment that is created by mistake or when you incorrectly charge a customer. Zuora provides you with the ability to automatically unapply a payment from a billing document when the payment is canceled.
To enable automatic un-application of a payment upon cancellation in Zuora, configure the following settings.
In the Zuora UI, click your avatar at the top right and then click Payments.
On the Payments Settings page, click Define Payment Rules.
Edit the Unapply payment first when canceling it rule to set it to Yes.
To unapply a payment on cancellation from the Zuora UI, complete the following steps.
Navigate to Payments > Payments in the left-hand navigation section.
Click the payment you want to cancel.
Use the action button to unapply the payment.
- For electronic payments, click Void This Payment.
- For external payments, click Cancel This Payment.
When you cancel or void a payment from the Zuora UI or API, the payment will be automatically unapplied from the billing document. The invoice or debit memo balance will be reset, and the following changes will occur:
- The applied amount on the payment will be cleared.
- Upon cancellation of the invoice, the applied amount on the payment and the invoice and/or debit memo will be reduced by the amount of the canceled payment.