CPQ X allows you to create draft orders. This article will guide you through the process of creating a draft order in CPQ X, highlighting the key steps and considerations involved.
With this feature, you have the flexibility to create Quotes that, when sent to Zuora, can generate orders in either Draft or Completed status, depending on your requirements.
If you are an existing Zuora Subscribe and Amend customer, we recommend you enable Orders Harmonization to access the Orders feature. With Orders, you can access both existing functions for subscription and billing management and the new features on Zuora Billing.
Before you can create draft orders in CPQ X, ensure that you meet the following prerequisites:
- Quotes Version: Confirm that you are using Quotes version 10.20 or a higher version. This ensures compatibility and access to the necessary features for creating draft orders.
- Field Setup: Add the "Order submission Status" field to the Quote Information (zqu__CPQX_Quote_Information) fieldset on the Quote object. This field offers two distinct values:
- Draft: Select this option if you want the order to be created as a Draft.
- Completed: Choose this option if you want the order to be created in Completed status.
The "Order submission Status" field aligns with the Default Value Settings and Object Fields Config settings available under Zuora Config > Quote Studio Settings. This ensures that you can customize and configure this field according to your specific needs. Additionally, you can also configure this field through CPQ X Default Values Plugin.
With the prerequisites in place, you're ready to start creating draft orders.
Take the following steps to create a draft order:
- In your Salesforce org, navigate to the Account Detail page of an account or the Opportunity Detail page of an opportunity.
- Click the New Quote (New) button.
- Select the option “Draft” from the Order Submission Status field.
- In the area of Step 1: Select a Billing Account, select a billing account from the table.
- In the area of Step 2: Select a Subscription, click New Subscription on the right. The New Subscription Quote page is displayed.
- Configure quote information and submit the configuration upon completion. See Configure quote information on Quote Studio page for instructions.
- After the new subscription quote is submitted, the Quote Details page is displayed.
- Click Send to Zuora.
There are certain limitations associated with draft orders in CPQ X. These include:
- Draft orders cannot be activated directly within the CPQ X interface.
- CPQ X does not provide a built-in feature to cancel draft orders.
- CPQ X does not offer a native capability to delete draft orders within its interface.
- Draft orders are not synchronized or displayed in any way within Salesforce (SF) with 360 or CPQ X.
After the new subscription quote is submitted, log into your Zuora tenant to verify the created draft order.
What to do next
In your Zuora tenant, you can activate the draft order when you are ready to proceed with the order.
For more information, see Activate a draft order.