Credit card processing methods fit into three levels: Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3. Each level is defined by the amount of information that is required or passed to complete a payment with Level 1 having the lowest requirements and potentially the highest costs.
Level 2 and Level 3 card data (also known as Level II and Level III) is a set of additional information that can be passed during a credit card transaction. Level 2 and Level 3 card data provides more information for business, commercial, corporate, purchasing, and government cardholders.
Credit card transactions submitted with Level 2 and Level 3 card data can obtain lower interchange rates and provide merchants with a lower processing cost. Therefore, it is in the best interest of merchants to submit Level 2 and Level 3 card data whenever possible.
Each card type that supports Level 2 maintains its own standards for the additional field information that is accepted. Potential fields include:
- Purchase Order number
- Destination Zip
- Tax Indicator
- Tax Amount
- Requestor Name
- Destination Address
- Destination City
- Destination State
Level 3 payments require all of the information required for Level 2 and will need to include additional information to complete the payment to reduce transaction costs. These additional fields may include:
- Item ID or SKU
- Item description
- Unit price
- Extended price
- Unit of measure (each)
- Commodity code
- Line discount
Currently, Zuora supports Level 2 and Level 3 data for the following gateways:
- Chase Orbital Version 7.0.1 Integration
- CyberSource, Payment API v2.0. See Level 2 and Level 3 Support for CyberSource for more information.
- Adyen Integration v2.0. See Level 2 and Level 3 Support for Adyen Integration v2.0 for more information.
- Ingenico ePayments
- Merchant e-Solutions
- Stripe v2
- Vantiv (Now Worldpay)
Additionally, the Merchant e-Solutions gateway supports Level 2 card data only.
You must contact your gateway support representative to enable Level 2 and Level 3 card data in order to process the additional information. To process Level 3 card data, you must also contact Zuora Support to enable this setting for your tenant.
Pre-Conditions for Submitting Level 3 Data
The following information must be configured before Level 3 information will be submitted to the payment provider:
- The Enable Level 3 Card Data check box must be selected in gateway settings.
- The Verify new credit card and Verify updated credit card check boxes must be selected in gateway settings.
- The Commodity Code field must have a value entered.
- An option must be selected from the Unit of Measure list.
- The Postal Code for the Customer must be provided on the Payment Method or on the Account Bill-to Contact.
- Tenant's Postal Code must be entered in Zuora Administration Settings (under Manage Tenant Profile).
After you enable Level 2 and Level 3 data with the aforementioned settings, Zuora uses the account and invoice information associated with the payment to automatically submit this data to the payment provider on your behalf.