When a subscription is created, the default subscription setting values are used to populate the applicable fields for the new subscription. You can also use the default subscription settings to require users to enter one or more subscription dates.
Having default values pre-populated each time a new subscription is created helps to ensure your subscriptions are consistently set up and saves your users a few extra steps during the subscription creation process.
You can override the default subscription values on a subscription basis when creating a new subscription.
When an Order is created, the default Order setting values are used to populate the applicable fields for the new Order.
To set default subscription and order settings:
- Click your username at the top right and navigate to Billing > Define Default Subscription and Order Settings.
- Click edit.
- Set the default settings.
- Click save.
The remainder of this article describes each default setting.
Default Term Type
Select Termed or Evergreen.
The Default Term Type setting specifies whether a new subscription has a set term by default or it does not expire. Evergreen subscriptions have no end date, which means your customer will be automatically billed until the subscription is canceled. A termed subscription expires after the number of months specified in the initial term, and can be set to renew for additional renewal terms.
See Subscriptions for more information.
Default Initial Term (months)
Set the number of months to use for initial subscription terms. You can override this value when creating a subscription.
Default Renewal Term (months)
Set the number of months your subscription will renew for after the initial term expires. You can override this value when creating a subscription.
Default Subscriptions to Auto-Renew?
Specify whether subscriptions are to automatically renew after the initial term expires. See Renewing Subscriptions for more information.
- If you select Yes, your subscription will automatically renew for the number of months specified in the renewal term.
- If you select No, the subscription expires after the initial term ends.
Require Customer Acceptance of Orders?
Specify whether you must enter a customer acceptance date to activate a subscription. The customer acceptance date is the date on which the customer accepts the services or products within a subscription. See Activating a Subscription for more information.
Require Service Activation of Orders?
Specify whether you must enter a service activation date to activate a subscription. The service activation date is the date in which the customer is provided access to the services or products within a subscription.
Enable Subscriptions to be Invoiced Separately?
Zuora Billing has the ability to separate a single charge and bill that charge independently to give you the flexibility to invoice charges independently, allowing you to improve your cash flow by immediately invoicing a charge.
See Invoicing Subscriptions Separately for more information.
Enable Automatic Price Change when Subscriptions are Renewed?
Select Yes to apply an automated price change when subscriptions are renewed. Typically, this change is a price increase, and is referred to as an "Uplift." When you set enable this, the Default Price Change for Product Charges and Default Price Increase Percentage Value fields appear.
See Automatic Price Change (Uplift) for Subscriptions for more information.
Enable Feature Specification in Products and Subscriptions?
When the Entitlements feature is enabled in your tenant, you can set the Enable Feature Specification in Product and Subscriptions default value to enable or disable the features functionality. If set to Yes, you can create and update features in product catalog, and you can add features in products and subscriptions.
Default Price Change for Product Charges
Specify the default behavior of price changes for products after a subscription renewal.
- No Change does not allow price changes for products.
- Percentage Increase lets you choose a percentage value for the price increase. Enter the percentage price change that you would like to apply in Default Price Increase Percentage Value.
- Use Latest Product Catalog Pricing uses the price for the product that is in the product catalog when a subscription is renewed.
Enable Subscription auto-renew when there's no product in subscription?
Specify whether to allow subscriptions that no longer have active product charges to auto-renew.
- Yes allows subscriptions to follow your current subscription renewal settings.
- No prevents auto-renewal on subscriptions that do not have any active product charges.
Subscription Auto Renew Job Type
Specify whether to trigger the auto-renew job based on the system default time or your specified time.
- System Default. Zuora triggers the auto-renew job using the system default time. The system default time is at 01:00 in the Zuora system-wide time zone. The Zuora US data center uses Pacific Time (PT). The Zuora EU data center uses Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).
- Tenant Specified Time. Zuora triggers the auto-renew job based on the time you set in the Subscription Auto Renew Job Time setting.
By default, the system default time is used. For more information, see Renewing Subscriptions Automatically.
Subscription Auto Renew Job Time
Specify the run time when auto-renew is triggered. This setting is only available if you set the Subscription Auto Renew Job Type setting to Tenant Specified Time.
The run time you set is using your tenant time zone.
Calculate Tax for TCB and ELP Metrics?
Specify whether to generate tax for the TCB and ELP metrics when an Order is created. This is for both new order creation and the initial data migration.
- Yes. Zuora will call the tax engine to calculate estimated taxes for Order Metrics. This will populate the Tax field on the ELP and TCB metrics. If the tenant is using an external tax vendor, this will incur in tax API calls during the Order creation process.
- No. Zuora will not call tax engine during the Order creation. The Tax field on the ELP and TCB metrics will be
The default value is No.
Update rate plan charge trigger condition?
Specify whether to enable direct update of the subscription rate plan charge trigger condition. The charge must not have been invoiced.
- You will see an option to edit the Trigger Condition field for each charge in the Product & Charges area of the subscription details page. You can update the trigger condition for a charge through the edit link. See Updating the Trigger Condition for a Subscription Rate Plan Charge. Note you can only edit the trigger condition if the charge is not invoiced.
- Alternatively, you can also use the CRUD: Update rate plan charge operation or the Update action to update the trigger condition for a charge through setting the
TriggerEventfield. See Updating the Trigger Condition for a Subscription Rate Plan Charge.
- No (Default)
Allow update Subscription trigger dates?
Specify whether to allow direct update of the subscription trigger dates. The subscription must be on Version 1, which means it has not been amended before.
- You will see the set activation dates button on the subscription details page. You can update the trigger dates for a subscription through the button. See Updating the Trigger Dates for a Subscription. Note you can only update the trigger dates if the subscription is on Version 1.
- Alternatively, you can also use the CRUD: Update subscription operation or the Update action to update the trigger dates for a subscription through setting the
ContractEffectiveDate, ServiceActivationDate, or ContractAcceptanceDatefield. See Updating the Trigger Dates for a Subscription.
- No (Default)
Enable Order UI
Specify whether to enable the Orders UI for your tenant. This setting is available only if Orders Harmonization is enabled in your tenant and it acts as a switch between the Subscribe and Amend UI and Orders UI.
- Yes. Enable the Orders UI. You will see the UI change to reflect Orders Harmonization without amendment options.
- No. You will continue to use the Subscribe and Amend UI and the Orders UI will not be enabled in your tenant.
Enable account level discount?
Specify whether to allow applying account level discounts to your subscriptions.
- Yes. You can apply account level discount charges to your subscriptions by creating a new subscription, adding a product, or updating an existing discount charge through both Zuora UI and API.
- No. Account level discounts are not enabled.
Enable force deletion for Account?
Specify whether to allow force deletion for an account under the specific condition as described below:
- Yes. By changing this setting to Yes, you can force delete an account that is the subscription owner of a subscription while the invoice owner is a different account. Force deleting this account deletes all its subscriptions, but the relevant invoices will not be impacted.
- No. You cannot delete an account that is the subscription owner of a subscription while the invoice owner is a different account.
Enable Ramp for Orders?
Specify whether to have the Ramp option when creating an Order.
- Yes. You will see the Ramp option in the Orders UI to make a subscription ramp deal or not when creating an order.
- No. Zuora will not enable the Ramp option in the Orders UI.