The Connect Tax Engines feature is in Limited Availability. If you wish to have access to the feature, submit a request at Zuora Global Support.
Zuora provides Connect Tax Engines for integration with tax vendors through Configurable tax apps. As you enter new markets, managing tax with efficiency can be a challenge. With Connect Tax Engines, you can handle changing tax rates and complex tax rules with speed at a global level.
Example of using Connect Tax Engines
You are doing well in the US market and you want to enter the Brazil market. The Connect Tax Engine you have been using in Zuora can only help handle tax calculation and compliance for the US market. It does not work for Brazil, which has very different tax types, rates, and regulations.
In this case, you can create a new Connect Tax Engine for the Brazilian market. It helps you to quickly handle tax issues in Brazil and speed up your expansion in this new market.
Set up Connect Tax Engines
Before setting up Connect Tax Engines, you need to purchase tax apps you want to use from the Marketplace. See Configurable tax app for information about purchasing and installing tax apps.
Set up Connect Tax Engines through the Zuora UI
To set up a Connect Tax Engine, complete the following steps.
- In your Zuora tenant, click your username at the top right and navigate to Settings > Billing.
- Click Setup Tax Engine and Tax Date.
- Select Connect Tax Engine from the list, and click setup new tax engine. Note that you can create at most 10 Connect Tax Engines.
- In the Basic Information area on the Setup Tax Engine page, specify the basic information for the new tax engine:
- Name: Name the Connect Tax Engine you would like to use in Zuora. For example, Avalara Brazil, India Local Tax, Avalara Telco, etc.
- Connect Token: Enter the unique 32-character API Token of the Tax app. To obtain your API Token, complete the following steps:
- From the left-hand navigation menu under Marketplace, click the name of the tax app.
- Select the instance you would like to launch.
- Navigate to the APP INFORMATION tab, the API token is listed near the top of the tab.
- In the Custom Fields sent to Open Tax Connector area, select all the custom fields that you want to use in the tax request for tax calculation. Failure to select them will result in that blank values are used in the corresponding Liquid objects. At most 50 custom fields are allowed. See Manage custom fields for more information.
- Click save to save the configurations.
- In the Company Information area, add at least one Company Code to activate a tax code.
After completing the previous steps, you can click back to Tax Engine list to view the Connect Tax Engine you just created. If you want to modify it, click Edit. If you want to remove it, click Delete.
Note: If you want to remove an existing Connect Tax Engine referred by a tax code, you need to first remove the tax code before removing the Connect Tax Engine.
Set up Connect Tax Engines through the Settings API
You can also set up and configure Connect Tax Engines through the Settings API. The following operations are supported:
|Operation||HTTP Method||HTTP URL||Note|
|Create a Connect Tax Engine||
||https://rest.zuora.com/settings/tax-engines/connector||You can create at most 10 Connect Tax Engines for your Zuora tenant.|
|Retrieve a Connect Tax Engine||
|Update a Connect Tax Engine||
|Delete a Connect Tax Engine||
See Settings API to learn about how to get started.
Notes and limitations
- You can create at most 10 Connect Tax Engines for your Zuora tenant.
- You can use at most 40 company codes for integration with a tax vendor through a configurable tax app.
- A single tax calculation request sent to a tax app can have a maximum of 1,000 taxable items. The request will fail and an error message will be returned in the following 2 example scenarios:
- You want to post an invoice that contains more than 1,000 invoice items.
- You want to create an order to add a product with 20 monthly charge segments for two years, and a total of 2,400 items will be contained in the tax calculation request.
- Note: This is a Zuora-defined limitation to ensure a stable integration across different tax vendors. If you have confirmed with your tax vendor that a higher number of taxable items can be processed in a timely manner (within 90 seconds), submit a request at Zuora Global Support and ask to test a higher limit.