Invoice delivery preferences refer to the method your customers have selected for receiving their invoices. The available methods are Print and Email. You can specify these methods in the Billing and Payment Info section on the customer account detail page.
Navigation: Customers > Customer Account in the left-hand navigation section. Access the customer account and scroll to Billing and Payment Info section. Click edit to select Invoice Delivery Preferences.
Selecting Print as the Invoice Delivery Preferences option indicates that your customer wants to receive a hard copy of the invoice, such as by postal mail. You can download the invoice PDF for print from the Invoice Detail page.
Print an Invoice PDF
From an invoice and select Invoice PDF from the view drop-down.
You can do the following when viewing the PDF invoice:
- Save the PDF file for your records
- Print the PDF file
Regenerate an Invoice PDF
Zuora will automatically regenerate an invoice PDF after you change information that is presented on the invoice PDF. An invoice PDF will regenerate asynchronously after you:
- Post an invoice
- Edit an invoice comment through the Zuora UI
- Perform an Invoice Split through the Zuora UI or API
- Create or update taxation detail through the Zuora API
- Make an adjustment through the Zuora UI or API (including Invoice Item Adjustment and Credit Balance Adjustment)
- Create a payment through the Zuora UI or API
- Create a refund through the Zuora UI or API
- Apply a credit memo to an invoice through the Zuora UI or API
- Execute a payment run associated with an invoice through the Zuora UI or API
- Make an Update() call with RegenerateInvoicePDF set to
Truein the SOAP API
When Invoice Date is updated, no invoice PDF file is regenerated immediately. Instead, it is logged in the database; a PDF file is regenerated when you view the invoice PDF file through the Zuora UI.
You can also asynchronously regenerate an invoice PDF file at any time. From any invoice in the Zuora UI, choose Regenerate Invoice PDF from the more menu.
Limitation on Invoice PDF
Zuora limits the sum total of certain line items up to a maximum number in a single invoice. For example, the sum total of line items for invoice items, taxation items, and usage items in a single invoice cannot exceed 20,000.
Maximum 20,000 records are allowed for the following line items:
- invoice item
- taxation item
- usage item
Maximum 2,000 records are allowed for the following line items:
- credit balance adjustment
- invoice adjustment
- invoice item adjustment
- previous transactions
- rate plan
When generating an invoice PDF, if the maximum number is exceeded, an error message is generated.
If you select Email in the Invoice Delivery Preferences field for a customer, the customer can receive an invoice if it is emailed from a bill run or emailed from the invoice details page. Invoices are not automatically emailed upon posting.
If you do not select Email, but the Bill To contact has an email address in their contact record, the invoice can be emailed to the customer from within the invoice details page.
If the email delivery option is not selected and an email address is not in the contact record, an invoice can still be emailed from the invoice details page. In this case, you can specify an email address for delivery.
You can also email PDF invoices for an entire bill run by finding your bill run in Expanded view and then clicking Email invoices.
A bill run must be posted before you can email invoices.
Email an invoice PDF
To email an invoice PDF from the Zuora UI:
- Navigate to Billing > Invoices in the left-hand navigation section.
- In the invoice list, click the invoice number you want to view.
- Click email invoice.
- Specify the email address of the recipient.
- Click send.
Check if an Invoice Email was Sent
In the History section on the invoice detail page, you can check when the invoice was emailed.
If the email was sent, but your customer still hasn't received it, you can resend it by clicking email invoice on the invoice detail page. The History section will show both the original and resent emailing activities.
If you set your Bill Run settings to automatically send email on posting invoices, the following conditions must satisfy for the invoice to be successfully emailed:
- The Work Email address must be provided on the Bill-To Contact.
- The Communication Profile on the customer account must be set. View the definition of the selected profile to verify email and notification preferences.
Follow the steps in Download or Email Memo Documents to enable emailing invoice PDFs automatically upon posting bill run. The only difference is that you need to configure the following notifications instead of the Credit Memo Posted | Credit Memo Posted within a Bill Run of Auto-Post notification:
- Invoice Posted | Invoice Posted Manually
- Invoice Posted | Invoice Posted via API
- Invoice Posted | Invoice Posted within a Bill Run of Auto-Post
- Manual Email For Invoice | Manual Email For Invoice
In the History section on the invoice detail page, you can perform the following:
- Check the date and time when the invoice was created, posted, and emailed.
- View a specific version of the invoice.
- Email a specific version of the invoice.