After system configurations are completed, usage transactions can be uploaded or automatically integrated from the upstream system to Zuora Revenue.
For Zuora Revenue standalone users, usage transactions are manually uploaded to trigger revenue recognition events and/or for usage tracking depending on the configured revenue recognition method.
For Billing - Revenue Integration users, usage transactions uploaded to Zuora Billing are automatically integrated to Zuora Revenue on a daily basis. An alternative way to manually upload usage transactions is also provided as a flexible fail-safe way to upload usage transactions when necessary. The best practice is always to use the automatic way as the primary option.
There is no system validation to prevent duplicate data uploads for Billing - Revenue Integration environments. If the same usage transactions are both automatically integrated and manually uploaded to Zuora Revenue, it will lead to over-accrual because both sets of data will be processed.
Manually upload consumption usage (for standalone Revenue users)
To manually upload usage transactions to Zuora Revenue, you can do it either from the UI or by using the API.
To upload usage transactions, complete the following steps:
- Navigate to File Upload > Consumption. A template called RevPro Usage Upload is predefined and displayed. CSV is the default file format defined in the template.
- (Optional): To change the file format between CSV and TXT, in the Templates section, hover your mouse over the template line, click the Edit icon, and specify the file format for the Data Format field.
- To download the template, hover over the template line and click the Download icon. The template is downloaded to your local system.
- Fill in your data in the downloaded template file and save the changes. The following fields are mandatory in the template file:
Field Description SO Line ID
The ID of the SO line for which the usage data is uploaded.
If this field is kept empty, you must specify both RPC Num and RPC Segment values.
RPC Num The rate plan charge ID. This field is to be used in conjunction with RPC Segment. This field can be empty if SO Line ID is specified. RPC Segment The rate plan charge segment number. This field is to be used in conjunction with RPC Num. This field can be empty if SO Line ID is specified. Usage Amount The usage amount to be uploaded. Start Date The start effective date of the uploaded usage amount.
- To upload the file, hover your mouse over the template line and click the upload icon. Alternatively, you can also use the REST API called Upload file.
The uploaded file status is displayed in the Uploaded Files section on the current page.
Integrate usage data to Revenue (for Billing - Revenue Integration users)
With Billing - Revenue Integration enabled, usage data that you upload to Zuora Billing are automatically integrated by the Usage Sync job to Zuora Revenue on a daily basis. The Usage Sync job will intake usage transactions into Zuora Revenue to trigger revenue recognition events and/or for usage tracking depending on configured revenue recognition method. No action is required for the end-users.
Usage integration process
During the usage integration process, how the usage data flows from Zuora Billing to Zuora Revenue is explained as follows:
- Usage data is uploaded to Zuora Billing.
- Usage data is integrated to Zuora Revenue Pre-stage table on a daily basis. The Update Date in Zuora Billing on each line is considered as the Transaction Date in Zuora Revenue.
- Usage data of the line that falls into the current open period is integrated from the Pre-stage table to the Staging table. If the line already exists in the Staging table, the system will calculate the change in the usage amount between the latest and the previous records of the line. The incremental amount and updated date will be saved in the latest record for the line in the Staging table.
- All records of the line are saved in the internal usage tracking table where data is aggregated at the line level. The usage tracking data is used to present the usage data in Workbench and in reports.
Manually start usage integration
In addition to the automatic usage integration on a daily basis, you can also start an ad-hoc Usage Sync job to integrate usage data from Zuora Billing to Zuora Revenue. To do this, navigate to Data Interface > Usage Sync.
Do not manually upload usage data unless necessary. If the same usage transactions are both automatically integrated and manually uploaded to Zuora Revenue, it will lead to over-accrual because both sets of data will be processed.